Friday, November 23, 2007

The Link between Thanksgiving and Scary Music?

I had a delightful, although exhausting, Thanksgiving.

We invited over a spicey assortment of friends: one who very merrily toasts the anniversaries of her divorce; a photographer who innocently and lovingly reminds that God hates divorce; his wife, an artist who beautifully wears her latest creations in the style and color of her hair; and my very A.D.D. friend who delights in having her toes sucked by the local Nextel salesman. Accounting also for their equally delightful children (11, 10 and 4 yr-old girls) my die-hard Cowboys fan/husband who got to watch his boys slaughter the Jets yesterday, and my six children (15 yr-old triplet girls, 1 13 yr-old girl, an "almost 12!"- yr-old boy, and a 10 yr-old boy), we had a total of 15 people enjoying a feast.... which was equally as interesting....

The turkey baked into a green color (I used thyme, sage, tumeric, etc. as spices.... didn't know it'd actually turn out green :-) ... My photographer friend loved my deviled eggs, I realized after I saw several mounds of seasoned yoke sitting on his plate - he'd eaten only the whites ;-j. Gotta hand it to him, he knows what he likes. I followed my greatgrandmother's advice and ate my desert first, since I knew I wouldn't have room for it after dinner (before the guests arrived - that actually curbed my appetite :-).

My eldest triplet daughter was stuck with dishes last night! What a mess! I helped her get all the food put away, so all she had to do was clean. She was soooooo hoping someone would have broken one of the kitchen rules before Thanksgiving... ("If Mom ever hears you complain, whine, roll eys [my friend pointed out that hearing eyes roll would be a phenomenal feat!], the death sigh, or anything else that goes toward DISRESPECT, you will have kitchen for the REST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!! I'm pretty sure NO ONE wants that! So if I were you I would show some RESPECT and do as your told!" - Rule decided by me, but written, with flare and emphasis, by my 13 yr-old daughter ;-)

This morning, I had the urge to put on some Halloween music (I love Napster): Thriller - Michael Jackson; Puttin' on the Ritz - Taco; Ghostbusters - Ray Parker; Jr., A View to a Kill - Duran Duran; Spider Webs - No Doubt; Scary Monsters - David Bowie, Dracula's Castle - New Order, Monster Mash - Bobby "Boris" Pickett, Love Potion #9 - The Searchers; She Blinded me with Science - Thomas Dolby; Rock Lobster - B-52's; Time Warp - Raul Esparza; Boris the Spider - The Who; I'm a Mummy - The Fall; I'm Your Boogie Man - KC and the Sunshine Band; The Creature from the Black Lagoon - Dave Edmonds; Warewolves of London - Warren Zevon; Superstition - Stevie Wonder.... and an assortment of spooky Halloween sound effects. - Go figure.

I think I'm going to go get some banana pudding before it disappears!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks again for a LOVELY Thanksgiving feast! I enjoyed myself. Albeit, quietly this visit. I came home, got my girl settled and went to bed!

Butterbean said...

I did the same thing... only it was something like this: "Good night kids, I'm going to bed... don't forget to turn out the lights and lock up before you go to bed :-)"

There are plusses and minusses to having teens and tweens...